My hair regimen and staple products

Hey lovelies,

It has been a while!I have been kept busy with some stuff but I haven't abandoned you guys. I hope this blog finds you in great health and wellbeing. It is starting to warm up in the southern hemisphere but I've been unfortunate to be working on the nice and sunny days so I haven't started enjoying the summer as yet. (sorry northern hemisphere lovelies, winter is coming).

Anyways, I have had a number of people ask me of my regimen and what products I use for my hair. So, instead of answering people individually, I'll just outline it all here and hope this answers most of your questions :)

First of all, I am a lazy natural so I do keep my products to a minimum and if I can simplify any step in my regimen, I go for it. Don't judge me for it, time is too precious ;)


Wash Day
I use shampoo probably about 3 times a year. I mainly co wash my hair once every week or 2 weeks, depending on the style I will be rocking at that particular time. If I'm wearing mini twists, I don't wash my hair for the duration of the style. Generally, my hair doesn't build-up as much so I can even get away with not washing my hair for a month. (I might attribute that to my minimalist products). My sister, on the other hand, needs to clarify her hair every week...I shan't go into detail about that hehe.

First, I section my hair into 6 sections to make detangling easier. I use the cheapest conditioner I can find in my local grocery store. I particularly like this one pictured above and alternate between the Herbal Essence and Garnier Fructis brand (coz I like the scents). I mix my conditioner with some coconut oil (amount is subject to personal preference). I apply this mixture to my hair and finger detangle each section carefully. At times, I use a Denman brush after finger detangling to make sure all the knots are gone. This is the only time a brush or comb goes through my hair and I have cut down on breakage. I then wear a shower cap for about half an hour before washing it out. (Living in cold Melbourne, I sometimes turn on the house heating system and sit under the air vents to direct heat to my hair, yeah don't judge again :D


Liquid Step: Hair Spritz
After washing my hair, I spritz my DIY spray through my hair. I mixed 50%water with 20% aloe vera juice and 20% glycerin in a spray bottle. I also add a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oils into the bottle and shake it all up. This bottle is usually stored in a cupboard under my bathroom sink, always shaking it before every use.

 Oil and cream step: DIY shea butter whip
After spritzing my hair, I apply my shea butter whip liberally to the length of the hair (still in sections). As I told you before, I'm lazy so this whip stands for the oil and cream step to seal in the moisture. Being in Australia, it's expensive to get the American products so I just use what I locally find. I know the whip constitutes of oils but shea butter is thick enough to act as a cream for my hair (and I don't mind). I use Jamaican black castor oil mixed with a few drops of lavender and rosemary oils and massage it into my scalp for about a minute.
Shea butter forms the base of the mixture. I add coconut oil, olive oil, Jamaican black castor oil, avocado oil and a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oils into a mixing bowl. Using my kitchen mixer, I whip up the ingredients until they are nice and fluffy and store in a jar under my bathroom sink.

After sealing in moisture, I use the African threading method to stretch my hair and let it air dry while threaded, but that is a story for another blog post :)
I sometimes use aloe vera gel for my edges, though it doesn't provide much hold. However, I use it daily after washing my face and I love it!

Moisturising routine:
In the mornings or evenings(depending on the style and weather) I spritz my hair with the aloe vera spray. I tend to massage JBCO on my scalp every 2-3 days. At night, I always wear a satin scarf and this helps maintain my styles.

This is it, in a nutshell.

Any compliments, questions or queries, you can comment below and show me some love!

Peace out

Jo xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini braids: Installation and maintenance

Results:-.6 Months Protective Style Challenge

Graduation Hair- styling mini braids