New year update!

Hey lovelies!!

Happy new year to y'all!


It's already the last day of the first month of 2017! How time flies! It has been a while since I last blogged as I have been settling into the rhythm of the new year. I started a new job in the city so I have to drive for an hour and 15mins to get to work. I'm loving the job, working fulltime and I get my weekends off. So I'm still working out a pattern so that I don't neglect my hair.

Last year I embarked on a few hair challenges and I did experience more growth and got to know my hair more. However, towards the end of the year I felt like my growth had become a bit stagnant. I did some protective styles but I think I would lose length when I took down the styles and experienced some breakage. I am not one who is big on making new year's resolutions because I never follow them two days after making them. But, I had to make an exception for my hair :) This year my hair goals involve more protective or low manipulation styles to promote length retention.
Two braids done on kinky twists that I installed. I love twists coz I can easily moisturise my hair and apply oil to my scalp. 


Towards the end of last year, I was starting to gain some weight and that was a bit of a shock to me since I have been maintaining my weight constantly for the past 7 to 8 years. Working in a restaurant has its perks of free food but the kilos started piling up. So I started drinking more water every day and changing my diet. I cut down on carbs and ate more salads and a bit of meat as well. I was planning to join the gym as well to get more exercise into my life.

Then I got the news that I had been successful in my job interview for a position with a pharmaceutical company. Working in the production labs meant I had to wear a hair net every time I'm working. Four weeks in and I'm still loving it! The position involves a lot of manual handling of equipment and being on my feet the whole time so now I don't need to join a gym! In fact, I get paid to 'gym' at work and my weight has dropped to my ideal as well so I couldn't be happier :)

Now, I struggle with eating breakfast every morning because I find it too early to be eating when I wake up. But, working at a job which is physically demanidng, I had to find a solution. I started making smoothies every morning and I find it easier to drink them when driving, that way I don't really register that I'm eating and trick my brain :). My favourite combinations are banana, frozen mango, fozen mixed berries, chia seeds, baby spinach leaves and mint leaves. My other combinations are a green smoothie with cucumber, banana, celery, baby spinach leaves and mint leaves. Raspberries  and some other berries are known to be a good source of vitamin B, C and biotin, which is good for hair growth. Hopefully I can start seeing the benefits soon with more healthier and longer hair.
My favourite banana-berry smoothie :)


I am still at a dilemma for what protective styles I should rock to work since the hairnets may restrict me with how I style my hair. I aim to retain more length this year so I am planning to wear my hair out less often and keep it protected. I have started moisturising and sealing my hair more often than I did last year (kinda fell of that moisturising bandwagon last year, oops! ).

If you have any tips or ideas of styles that I could do that require less manipulation and can be kept for longer AND won't be trouble to fit in those hospital type of hairnets, hit me up! I just don't have the time to be doing my hair as often I usually do. Also if you have tried smoothies and have a favourite combination, hit me up as well! I would love to try other flavours so I don't get bored :D
Sometimes the best times are spent in solitude and personal reflection


Until next time,

Peace out!

Jo xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini braids: Installation and maintenance

Results:-.6 Months Protective Style Challenge

Graduation Hair- styling mini braids