Kerotsi's 'lazy' guide to an easy washday

Hey lovelies!

I finally washed my hair after putting it off for too long! Yes, it's actually an achievement I gotta document. Hear me out, okay.

So, if you're following me on Instagram, you probably know by now that I recently had surgery (11 days ago). Now, everyday duties were a pain (literally) and all I could do was lie on my left side for pretty much a week. But God! I am recovering much faster than I had anticipated and today I managed to sit for the first time since the surgery. So I had to blog!


Anyways, back to hair-related stuff.

I have had my hair in about 11 large braids for the past 2weeks and it desperately needed a wash.  I had already detangled my hair when I did the braids, so I decided not to undo the braids and just wash it as it is. (I'll do an extensive wash day when I'm much stronger).

To clarify, I poured a small amount of the Garnier Fructis shampoo into the palm of my hand and used my fingers to apply the shampoo directly to my scalp. I slightly massaged my scalp at the same time and then rinsed out the shampoo.

To condition, I applied a mixture of a Tresemme brand conditioner plus my oil mixture along the length of my hair (hair still braids). I then tied a regular plastic bag over my head and wore a heated shower cap for about half an hour before washing it out. I moisturised my hair as normal (leave-in, cream and oil). Wash day is done!!


Alternative lazy method.
Sometimes when I don't have much time on my hands, I do take some shortcuts in my wash day steps (I'm just being honest with you). I usually co-wash but when I feel that my scalp is getting too dirty, I have to clarify with a shampoo. Now, I know I should deep condition often but sometimes It's not practical for me, so that step goes out of the window too.

1. I apply my conditioner in sections and finger detangle each section as I apply the conditioner.
2. I pour a small amount of shampoo onto the palm of my hand and use my fingers to apply it to just my scalp. (I haven't rinsed off the conditioner in this step)
3. By the time I finish step 2, I feel like my hair has had enough exposure to the conditioner then I rinse it out thoroughly.
4. I then moisturise as usual and stretch it using the African threading method.

Disclaimer: The reason I apply the shampoo and conditioner at the same time (kinda) is that of my understanding that shampoo is mainly for clarifying the scalp and conditioners are for, well, conditioning the hair. Now, I don't do this every time, neither do I recommend it for every washday. I also don't know the chemistry behind shampoos and conditioners (all you chemists can come after me later), but this works for me and my hair hasn't felt much different than when I do a normal wash routine.

There you have it. Let me know of any shortcuts you take during wash day and if it works, after all, we're here to help each other.

Comments and suggestions are definitely welcome.

Until next time,
Peace out!

Jo xx

Comments

  1. I often skip the deep conditioning too! It's the whole having to go back and wash it out before you can prep your style for the week 😐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm not the only, I don't have the patience for it to be a regular part of my routine as yet :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mini braids: Installation and maintenance

Results:-.6 Months Protective Style Challenge

Graduation Hair- styling mini braids